Japan is a democracy with a robust economy, advanced technology in fields including AI and robotics, and a major role in international relations. Japanese popular culture, from anime to video games, has been influential across the U.S. and across the globe. Friendships with Japanese, travel abroad, enjoying Japanese food locally, as well as the practice of martial arts and the love of Japanese popular media have motivated students to pursue the study of Japanese at Carolina. In the program, students enjoy meeting others with similar enthusiasms and often take part in extracurricular activities such as the Japan Club and the anime club (COUp).
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least nine hours of their minor "core" requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000 in the minor core requirements. Some programs may require higher standards for minor or specific courses.
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|Four language courses beyond JAPN 203, chosen from among the following:||12-13|
|Intermediate Japanese II|
|Advanced Japanese I|
|Advanced Japanese II|
|Gateway to Mastering Japanese|
|Topics in Contemporary Japanese Literature|
|Food and Culture in Japan|
|Making Music in Japan|
|Manga as a Japanese Art and Culture|
|Sports in Japanese Culture|
|Understanding Japanese Business Culture and Its Practice|
|Japanese Culture through Film and Literature|
|Service Learning in Japanese Language|
|Topics in Japanese Language and Literature|
|Investigating Japanese Culture through TV Dramas|
|Advanced Topics in Japanese Language and Literature|
Placement credit (PL) may not be used to meet minor requirements.
See the program page here for special opportunities.
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Interdisciplinary Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Arab Cultures Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Chinese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Japanese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Korean Studies Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–South Asian Studies Concentration
- Arabic Minor
- Asian Studies Minor
- Chinese Minor
- Modern Hebrew Minor
- Hindi-Urdu Minor
- Japanese Minor
- Korean Minor
- Middle Eastern Languages Minor
- Persian Minor
Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
New West 113, CB# 3267