Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
New West 113, CB# 3267
Japan has the world’s third largest economy, advanced technology in many areas, and an exciting popular culture that influences the Euro-American cultural mainstream. Friendships with Japanese, experience traveling abroad, or even enjoying Japanese food locally, as well as the practice of a martial art and the love of Japanese popular media such as manga and anime have motivated students to pursue the study of Japanese language, culture, and history at Carolina. Once in the program, students enjoy meeting others with similar enthusiasms and often take part in related extracurricular activities such as the Japan Club and the anime club (COUp).
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Interdisciplinary Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Arab Cultures Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Chinese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Japanese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Korean Studies Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–South Asian Studies Concentration
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least nine hours of their minor "core" requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|Four language courses beyond JAPN 203, chosen from among the following:||12-13|
|Intermediate Japanese II|
|Advanced Japanese I|
|Advanced Japanese II|
|Gateway to Mastering Japanese|
|Topics in Contemporary Japanese Literature|
|Food and Culture in Japan|
|Making Music in Japan|
|Manga as a Japanese Art and Culture|
|Sports in Japanese Culture|
|Understanding Japanese Business Culture and Its Practice|
|Japanese Culture through Film and Literature|
|Topics in Japanese Language and Literature|
|Investigating Japanese Culture through TV Dramas|
|Advanced Topics in Japanese Language and Literature|
Placement credit (PL) may not be used to meet minor requirements.
See the program page here for special opportunities.