Resources: Campus Life

Campus Safety

285 Manning Drive (via Hardin Drive)
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(919) 962-8100 (non-emergency) or 911

UNC Police is committed to creating and maintaining an environment where students, employees, and visitors to campus can feel safe in this vital community. Through its philosophy of community-oriented policing (COP), the department strives to employ professionalism, problem solving, and innovative strategies to remain one of the premier public safety agencies in the nation.

Familiarize yourself with security resources such as the campus-wide network of emergency call boxes, Smart911, self-defense instruction, other crime prevention classes, and much more.

In addition, the University has the capacity to send emergency warnings by text message to students, faculty, and staff through its Alert Carolina initiative. The entire University community is encouraged to educate itself regarding UNC’s emergency communications resources and to register cell phones for this method of communication by visiting the Alert Carolina website.

The LiveSafe App provides students, faculty, and staff a direct connection to UNC Police so that everyone can easily communicate all their safety needs. Its easy-to-use features help you stay safe every day and enable us to better protect you. Benefits include the ability to share information, tips, and safety concerns with UNC Police via pictures, video, or audio messaging; easy access to call or message UNC Police to summon help; access to SafeWalk, a GPS-tagged monitoring feature that allows your friends and family to keep you virtually covered until you arrive safely at a destination; and easy-to-find information and location of safety resources on and off campus. To download and set up LiveSafe on your iPhone or Android phone, select “University of North Carolina Chapel Hill” as your affiliation and fill in your user profile.

UNC–Chapel Hill students and staff can learn how to respond in an active shooter scenario by attending a “Shots Fired” training presentation offered by UNC officers.

Concerns may be addressed at the following campus telephone numbers:

  • General Information: (919) 962-3951
  • Police Emergencies: 911
  • Police Non-emergencies: (919) 962-8100

Carolina Housing

Student and Academic Services Building North
CB# 5500
450 Ridge Road
(919) 962-5401

Carolina Housing works to provide convenient housing that is secure, inclusive, and supportive. Students create a home in our on-campus communities, build lifelong friendships and develop skills for their current and future successes as they journey through their Carolina experience. Students are encouraged to work towards leaving their “HEELprint” on the larger University by connecting with resources, taking advantage of leadership opportunities, and making a difference while they are Carolina students. By getting involved, students develop an identity with the larger University community, create social networks, and find opportunities for intellectual, spiritual, physical, and occupational growth.

Carolina Housing is an integral part of the academic and social community at UNC–Chapel Hill. It is committed to providing an environment conducive to the educational, psychological, and social development of residents. It strives to build a community that balances respect for the individual as well as the rights and interests of the
whole community. All members of the residence hall and apartment community — residents, staff, and visitors — are expected to act in a manner that demonstrates respect and consideration for those around them.

Carolina Housing offers a variety of academic success and engagement initiatives to help student staff and on-campus residents develop healthy academic habits and support systems that lead to student success. These initiatives include residential learning programs, academic advising in the residence halls, transitional programming for first-year students, faculty engagement programs such as Meals with Heels and the Scholar in Residence, individual community programming on academic success, and an experiential education course, EDUC 318. This holistic approach complements classroom experiences and lays the foundation for students to become better prepared to succeed in life beyond college.

Graduate Student Housing. Carolina Housing recognizes that the living needs of graduate and professional students are usually different from those of undergraduates. At Carolina, graduate and professional students can enjoy the benefits of being affordably close to classes, facilities, and events, and living in a community of fellow graduate students where the atmosphere is characterized by early quiet hours and respect for personal time and space.

Baity Hill Graduate and Family Housing is Carolina's on-campus community for graduate students providing apartment-style housing. The property houses students with families and graduate students with roommates. This one- and two-bedroom apartment community is situated on rolling hills adjacent to the campus. The apartments are within walking distance of the campus and are served by campus and city bus routes. Rental costs compare favorably with similar area housing.

Parking is available for graduate students on a limited basis, and a fare-free campus bus service offers several routes that connect the north, middle and south regions of campus. Find specifications for apartments by visiting the "Apartments" section of the Carolina Housing website.

Generally, demand for on-campus housing for graduate students exceeds the supply. On-campus housing is not guaranteed for graduate students, although every effort is made to offer a space to all applicants. Returning residents have priority to re-contract for the following academic year before spaces are offered to new graduate students. Additional information is available in the "Apartments" section of the Carolina Housing website.

Off-Campus Graduate Student Housing. Off-campus housing refers to any housing not owned and operated by the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill. This category includes small group housing such as fraternities and sororities, as well as apartments, houses, and rooms. Two-thirds of the University's students live in the off-campus market. Students will find furnished and unfurnished units, as well as units within walking distance to campus or spread throughout Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Carolina Union

The Carolina Union creates safe, inclusive, and educational experiences that enable students to maximize their time at Carolina. "Carolina Union" is the term used for both the Frank Porter Graham Student Union Building and the University department that serves students in many areas of their cocurricular lives. Governed by a board of directors consisting of students and faculty, the Carolina Union’s role is to unify the campus community by providing programs, services and facilities.

Cultural, educational, and social programs are planned and implemented by the Carolina Union Activities Board (CUAB).

The Union contributes to the educational mission of the University by providing cultural, social, educational and entertainment programs. The Union also provides many services for the University community, supporting and enhancing student organizations and the programs they create.

The Office of the Dean of Students

Student Academic Services Building North, Suite 1106
450 Ridge Road
(919) 966-4042

The Office of the Dean of Students provides support and assistance to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill community, empowering students to succeed in navigating the University environment. Its four pillars — Care, Collaborate, Celebrate, and Empower — inform its programs, services, and initiatives. The office often serves as a beginning point of contact for students, faculty members, staff, families, and community constituencies regarding various student concerns. It supports student academic, personal, and professional development through a combination of individual initiatives, innovative outreach programs, and cocurricular opportunities, as well as policy development and oversight.

Off-Campus Student Life

Room 211 Henry Owl Building
CB# 5000
230 E. Cameron Ave
(919) 445-5049 (e-mail) (Web) (Web)

In alignment with the mission of Student Affairs at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Off-Campus Student Life is committed to educating all students (undergraduate, graduate and professional) in life skills related to living off campus and in the community. These skills include:

  • Becoming responsible tenants and community members knowledgeable of city ordinances and community quality of life issues
  • Making informed choices about housing and roommates
  • Gaining proficiency in problem solving when landlord and roommate difficulties arise
  • Understanding personal safety and responsibility

For many students, transitioning into off-campus housing is as much a part of their college experience as first moving into the residence halls. For graduate and professional students, living in graduate housing like Baity Hill or in the community (Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or beyond) during their entire time at Carolina fits with their place in life and needs as a post-college adult. But, there can be significant challenges when leaving the intentional structure of an on-campus living environment. We are here to help students navigate their way as successful neighbors in our greater Chapel Hill–Carrboro community. We advocate for and educate toward the development of students as knowledgeable, active, and responsible community citizens. Students living off campus and in the community have rights and responsibilities associated with their pursuit of an enjoyable and safe living experience. We provide services and educational opportunities to promote the understanding of these rights and responsibilities throughout the off-campus student population.

Fraternity and Sorority Life

3103 FPG Student Union, CB# 5210
(919) 962-8298 (Web) (Web) (e-mail)

Fraternity and Sorority Life provides services, programs, and assistance to the 61 fraternities and sororities that make up the Chapel Hill Greek community. The office’s mission is to enhance the academic experience, holistic development, and civic contribution of students by providing effective services and developmental opportunities that enrich the Carolina experience. Fraternity and Sorority Life advocates for the fraternal movement by educating, advising, and empowering fraternities and sororities and their members to live according to their organizational values and contribute to the University and greater community.

Information Technology Services

Telephone: (919) 962-HELP (4357)

Information Technology Services (ITS) leads UNC–Chapel Hill in planning, implementing and maintaining the University’s technology services. The ITS staff is dedicated to delivering reliable, secure and satisfying information technology solutions and experiences to the University community. ITS collaborates with a broad spectrum of faculty, student and staff stakeholders to ensure effective, efficient, and timely services that meet their needs.

2-Step Verification

The main benefit of activating 2-step verification is a significant increase in protection of your account from hackers. We are all used to having one layer of security — our password — to protect our accounts. With 2-Step, if a criminal gets through the password layer, he or she will still need your phone or other second verification method to get into your account.

2-Step is required within ConnectCarolina to access W-2s and student financial information. Also, 2-step verification is required to use Office 365, including Heelmail.

Adobe Creative Cloud

UNC–Chapel Hill provides all students and instructional faculty and staff with access to Adobe Creative Cloud, a package of creative desktop applications for digital imaging, design, web, and video, plus online services and storage. Popular creative desktop and mobile tools available with Adobe Creative Cloud licenses include Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, and InDesign. These programs are utilized frequently in the classroom and are available at no additional cost to students. New students can activate their license by visiting

Carolina Computing Initiative

As part of the University’s coordinated technology plan, the Carolina Computing Initiative (CCI) aims to ensure that Carolina students, faculty, and staff have access to high-quality computers and exceptional support services. The CCI is one of a number of University initiatives to ensure that the academic community has the tools needed to prepare for 21st-century digital literacy. Undergraduate students are required to bring laptops that meet the minimum standards set by the University for their graduating class. Eight out of every 10 students choose a CCI laptop package to fulfill this requirement. Students who own a CCI model laptop receive the highest level of support available on campus, including on-campus hardware repairs and access to loaner laptops.

Many students who choose a CCI laptop package are eligible for assistance with purchasing the laptop. Laptop grants that cover the entire cost of the CCI laptop package are awarded to incoming students throughout the summer. New students can apply for this need-based financial aid by submitting the College Board CSS/Financial Aid Profile to UNC–Chapel Hill. For more information on the laptop grants, see

Why Standardize?

Adopting the University’s computer standards offers students and families the most value for their money, the highest level of technology at the best price, and access to convenient and reliable support on campus. Standardization reduces the number of problems that would typically arise from using a variety of hardware, software, and operating systems. It also enables faculty members to more readily incorporate technology into into their instruction and that the technology-related disruptions will be kept to a minimum.

Why a Laptop for Your Student?

Portable laptops give students access to learning resources (online discussion forums, library resources, and class notes) and student services (grades, schedules and registration) anytime, anywhere.

Buying Your Student's Computer

The Tech Shop
(919) 843-5044

All CCI laptop package purchases are made through the Tech Shop, the technology division of UNC–Chapel Hill’s Student Stores. For information on purchasing computers that meet the University’s specifications, go to

First-Year Students

While first-year students are not required to purchase a Carolina Computing Initiative (CCI) laptop, the vast majority do (more than 80 percent on average). Students who opt to bring a different model laptop are still required to bring a laptop that meets the technology requirements specified by the University. For details on the University’s laptop specification, visit

While software and operating system support is available for non-CCI laptops, the level of support for students who own a CCI laptop is much higher. Hardware support and loaner laptops are available on campus for students who own CCI laptops, while for non-CCI laptops, hardware support is the responsibility of the student. For more information about the advantages of owning a CCI model specifications, visit

Transfer Students' Minimum Laptop Specifications

Students are required to have a laptop that meets minimum specifications for their class year. All CCI computer models offered meet these requirements and are available for purchase by transfer students. For details on the University’s laptop specifications, visit

Insurance and Warranty

Laptops purchased through the CCI come with a comprehensive, four-year protection plan that exceeds the coverage available under standard homeowners insurance and the manufacturer’s warranty. This protection plan covers theft, accidental damage, and damage from a power surge, fire, or natural disaster while in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The policies include a $100 deductible per incident. International insurance is also available upon request. For more insurance and warranty information, visit


ITS Labs offers the Pharos Printing System. UNC–Chapel Hill fee-paying students are given an allotment of pre-paid pages on their One Card for printing each semester. Once the allotted pages have been used, students may purchase additional pages. In addition to campus locations, print stations can also be found in most on-campus housing communities. Students can print directly to these print stations by installing the CCI Printing software from They also can print from their laptop or smartphone by going to More details on this service are available at

ITS Service Desk

The ITS Service Desk is the central point of contact for students who need assistance with technology issues. Students can receive help resolving software and hardware issues through the Service Desk's on-campus walk-in services, 24/7 phone services, live chat, or web submission requests.

The ITS Service Desk attempts to resolve just about any technological issues that a student may have, but most often helps students with in-depth troubleshooting of software issues such as blue-screening, error messages, virus/malware issues and Microsoft Office issues; maintenance issues such as providing software upgrades to Windows and Mac operating systems and installation of UNC mobile-friendly printing software that allows printing from multiple locations on campus as well as installation of specialized software like SAS and ARC GIS that would be needed for advanced coursework.

Setups of phones and other mobile devices for UNC network and email use, assistance with internal sites such as ConnectCarolina and Sakai, as well as performance of hardware repairs for CCI-purchased computers ( are also a strong focus of the Service Desk.

Students can get further information about walk-in help site locations, tech support services, and tips through and through the Service Desk's social media content.

Walk-in locations, chat support, phone support information:

Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: @uncservicedesk

ResNET: Residential Networking, Education, and Technology

The ITS ResNET team is responsible for providing on-site technology support and education for on-campus residents and Carolina Housing. The ResNET program, one of the largest in the nation, is comprised of 53 student employees who live in the residence halls. ResNET RCCs help on-campus residents with any technology questions, device setup requests, support high-speed wired and Wi-Fi networking, and maintain device installations in Carolina Housing spaces. ResNET also has four full-time staff to support the systems and processes that run Carolina Housing.

Note: Granville Towers residents receive internet services from a third-party company and should contact Granville for more details.

Tech Fairs

Each semester ResNET hosts 30+ Tech Fair events in the residence halls. Residents can visit to have their computers cleaned and updated, and technology questions answered. ResNET also provides information about technology initiatives across campus, and brings items like 3D printers and XR headsets for residents to experience new technologies in person.

Cable Television

Students living on campus have access to high-quality cable television service with 100+ television channels. On-campus residents also have access to cable via the streaming service Stream2. Support for residence hall cable television service is provided by ResNET and Stream2. For more information, or to view the cable television channel line-up, visit and search for CABLE.

Download CarolinaGO

CarolinaGO, the University’s official mobile app, is a collaboration between ITS and student leaders. With CarolinaGO, students can access a mobile version of ConnectCarolina, check dining hours, find bus schedules, check CCI printing availability, and more. A walking directions module also makes it easy for new students and families to navigate campus. Search “CarolinaGO” in the iTunes and Google Play app stores to download.

Stay Up-to-Date with ITS

During the course of the academic year, technology changes and/or unplanned outages sometimes occur. ITS encourages students and family members to follow ITS on Twitter @UNCTarHeelTech. ITS posts upcoming maintenance windows, technology changes, outage information, training information, and more.

The James M. Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence

225 Graham Memorial
218 E. Franklin Street
(919) 966-5110

The James M. Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence is a "democracy of learning" open to students, faculty, alumni, and visitors from all corners of the Carolina campus and beyond. The mission is to encourage undergraduates' active engagement with research, scholarship, and artistic endeavor; to promote innovative teaching; and to provide a social setting in which students can engage in thoughtful discussions with professors and classmates.

The Johnston Center houses Honors Carolina, the Office of Burch Programs and Honors Study Abroad, the Office of Distinguished Scholarships, the Office for Undergraduate Research, the Robertson Scholars Program, and the Beasley Multimedia Center.

The Johnston Center’s student-faculty advisory committee advises its director on all aspects of programming and planning.

LGBTQ Center

Student Academic Services Building South, Suite 3308
385 Manning Drive
(919) 843-5376

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) Center works to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment for UNC–Chapel Hill community members of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions. The LGBTQ Center offers educational programs such as Safe Zone, social events such as Center after Dark on Wednesday evenings, and direct support and advocacy to students, staff, and faculty.

New Student and Family Programs

Student Academic Services Building South, Suite 3318
(919) 962-8304

The mission of New Student and Family Programs (NSFP) is to provide new undergraduate students the information and activities needed to transition smoothly to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and to promote an ongoing relationship between the families of all current undergraduate students and the University in support of their students’ success at Carolina.

To fulfill this mission, New Student and Family Programs provides a number of transition programs and services, communications for new students and families, and student leadership opportunities.

All new first-year and transfer students (and their families) attend New Student Orientation prior to their first semester at Carolina. The transition process continues when students arrive each fall with a variety of Tar Heel Beginnings program offerings, including Week of Welcome. NSFP is also home to several transfer student initiatives, including the Tar Heel Transfers student organization, Tau Sigma honor society, and Transfer Student Ambassador Program.

NSFP’s family programming includes Carolina Family Weekend each fall, regular communications through our UNC Family Experience portal, and family engagement opportunities, including the Carolina Parents Council. 

NSFP provides a number of student leadership opportunities with five student employee teams, including our Orientation Leaders, the Tar Heel Beginnings Board, Transfer Student Ambassadors, Project Coordinators, and our Undergraduate Fellows.

Student Affairs

Carr Building
230 East Cameron Avenue
(919) 966-4045

Student Affairs serves the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in collaboration with academic programs by providing transformational opportunities for students in the areas of student life, health and wellness, leadership and service, and diversity.

The importance of the learning process is paramount at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Student Affairs provides many services and programs that encourage and support the learning that takes place beyond the classroom. These departments and programs aim to assist students in integrating the various aspects of their lives so as to promote learning, self-awareness, self-determination, and broadened perspectives on the world. Student Affairs departments and programs afford students the opportunity to gain knowledge and develop skills to improve performance inside and outside the classroom; to enhance leadership potential; to find opportunities to serve fellow students and the community; to explore, plan, and prepare for a career; to plan for an active and rewarding life; to develop citizenship; and to improve interpersonal and life skills.

While Student Affairs offers programs designed primarily for undergraduate students, The Graduate School, on its own and in conjunction with various Student Affairs offices, offers programs and services intended to specifically address the needs of graduate and professional students.

The Office of the Vice Chancellor coordinates Student Affairs programs and provides guidance and leadership for its departments. The office also acts in a consulting role for faculty, administrators, and students who wish to raise issues that concern the University community, with a particular focus on student needs.

Student Dining Services

Carolina Dining Services operates 10 separate dining facilities at UNC–Chapel Hill. Meal purchases can be made with the UNC One Card using a meal plan, Dining Flex, à la carte, expense, or cash. All meal purchases made with the UNC One Card are not subject to the 6 percent North Carolina state sales tax on such items. Cash purchases are taxable. To find out more about acquiring a UNC One Card, visit the One Card Office website or the UNC One Card office on the third floor of UNC Student Stores.

Students can use their meal plans at several of the campus all-you-care-to-eat dining facilities. Top of Lenoir is an award-winning facility with an array of menu choices. The Rams Head Dining Hall is a 30,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility that includes several restaurants and all-you-care-to-eat venues.

Carolina Dining Services offers several meal plans that offer the convenience and value of purchasing meals on campus ahead of time.

Student Government

The by-laws of the Board of Trustees of the University invest in the chancellor of the University “the duty . . . to exercise full authority in the regulation of student conduct and in matters of student discipline.” At the same time the chancellor has delegated authority to exercise disciplinary and administrative functions in student life to agencies of student government. Within the context of this delegated authority and responsibility, the student body at the University has been self-governing for decades.

Student government at Carolina is more than 100 years old, and hundreds of students are involved in the various branches every year. From serving on the Board of Trustees to the appropriation, oversight, and authority of student fees, from instituting governmental service to enforcing the Honor Code, student government affects the life of every student every day.

The entire framework of student government’s activities rests on its ability to maintain the foundation of administrator-student relations. The University should serve as an advisor, not as a supervisor, to the student body. To enjoy this freedom, students at Carolina must be willing to take a certain amount of responsibility to develop their own community and community values. Student government serves to maintain this freedom and the advisory, not supervisory, relationship.

In 1876 the Honor System officially ended all vestiges of the monitorial system; in 1904 a judicial body, the University Council, was established; in 1938 the Student Legislature was established; and in 1946 a written constitution was approved. In 1968 the coeducational Honor Court was formed out of the Men’s Court and Women’s Court to hear all Honor Code cases. The Instrument of Student Judicial Governance was ratified and put into operation in 1974, was significantly revised in 2003, and then amended in 2015 and 2017.

Student government at UNC–Chapel Hill approximates the federal system of government with its three branches: an executive branch, a legislative branch, and a judicial branch.

The Executive Branch of Student Government

This group serves as the official voice of the student body to the University and broader community, including the town of Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina. Heading the executive branch is the student body president, assisted by the vice president, the president of the Graduate and Professional Student Government, student body treasurer, student body secretary, the chief of staff, and the senior advisor. As determined by and reflective of the needs of the student body, the president structures his/her cabinet and committees and makes appointments to a wide range of University committees that address those needs and other concerns as they arise during the year. These committees usually include hardship parking, elections board, University services, information technology, student life, minority affairs, first-year focus council, and public service.

Legislative Branch

Student Congress is unicameral, consisting of 41 representatives elected by the student body, with the student body president and the student body treasurer serving as nonvoting ex officio members. The speaker of the Student Congress is elected from among the 41 representatives. Graduate and professional students and on- and off-campus undergraduates are proportionally represented in the Congress.

Student Congress handles considerable legislation and, as one of its primary responsibilities, oversees the student activity fees budget and other student fee areas. Established by student and University committees before approval by the Board of Trustees, a predetermined amount of the fees paid by each student provides the source of funds for Student Congress’s annual allocation and subsequent appropriations budgets. These funds are allocated to petitioning student organizations that have received official University recognition. The student body can petition for changes in the student activities fee at any time.

Student Congress representatives are elected in the spring for one-year terms, and each member serves on one of three standing committees: finance, rules and judiciary, and student affairs. A fourth committee, ethics, is composed of senior members of the Congress.

Judicial Branch

There are two major areas that comprise the judicial branch; the first is responsible for the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance, and the second is responsible for resolving issues related to the Student Code.

The Honor Court hears all cases involving potential violations of the Honor Code. There are separate courts for undergraduate students, graduate students, and students in the Schools of Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Business. The Honor Court is organized as follows:

  • Office of the Student Attorneys General: The appropriate (undergraduate or graduate) student attorney general investigates all potential violations of the Honor Code. Staff members also present cases to the Honor Court and assist students accused of violating the Honor Code.
  • University Hearings Board: These boards are made up of faculty, staff, and students. The University Hearings Board generally hears appeals of Honor Court cases.
  • Students interested in serving on the Honor Court or the student attorney general’s staff should contact the Honor System Office at (919) 966-4084 for information about how to apply.
  • Student Supreme Court: This court adjudicates all issues of student constitutional law to be decided under the Student Code. This body most closely fills the traditional judicial branch of government and consists largely of students with previous experience in student government, mediation, and/or law.

For Graduate Students

The Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG), the official representative of graduate and professional students at the University, is organized based on school, departmental, and curricula organizations. The GPSG provides communication between graduate and professional students, represents graduate and professional students both within and outside the University community, and provides structures capable of dealing with ongoing issues and concerns. It also allocates and administers the funds appropriated to it from student fees. Every duly enrolled graduate and professional student is automatically a member of the GPSG.

Transportation and Parking

Public Safety Building at 285 Manning Drive (via Paul Hardin Drive)
(919) 962-3951
Weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Transportation and Parking is an essential part of UNC and is responsible for coordinating all traffic, parking, and transportation around campus.


Every student at UNC–Chapel Hill who parks an automobile on weekdays in University parking areas is required to obtain and display a parking permit. Parking permit holders must park only in specific zones as indicated on their parking permits. Please note the signs at the entrances to each lot which detail the hours of enforcement for that parking area.

Students, excluding first years, may apply for parking permits during online registration procedures or at the UNC Transportation and Parking offices in the Public Safety Building. Vehicles found parked illegally may be cited by Transportation and Parking's Parking Control Division, and subsequent violations may result in further citations, immobilization ("booting"), or towing of the vehicle. Citations may be appealed through UNC Transportation and Parking's Appeals Office within 10 calendar days upon receipt of the citation. Citations can be appealed in person during office hours Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., online, or by regular mail.

The Parking Control Division operates MAP, the cost-free Motorist Assistance Program. At all times, including University holidays, if a vehicle requires a jump start or if the keys are locked inside the vehicle, motorists may call for assistance at (919) 962-8100.

The Commuter Alternative Program

The Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) is designed to reward UNC employees and students for the use of bicycling, walking, transit, and ridesharing. CAP is only available to off-campus students who do not have a parking permit. CAP offers prizes, discounts from local merchants, and other benefits to all members.

Local and Regional Transit

The University, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro work together to provide the fare-free Chapel Hill Transit system. No bus pass is needed when boarding a Chapel Hill Transit bus, and anyone can ride. Campus U route and RU (Reverse U) shuttles run in continuous loops from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., serving nearly every area on campus.

Commuting students can use any of the Park & Ride lots served by Chapel Hill Transit. All Park and Ride lots require a permit, which may be purchased through UNC or through the Town of Chapel Hill. In the case of an emergency, UNC–Chapel Hill's Emergency Ride Back service is available to provide transportation to the Park & Ride lots or any location within Carrboro or Chapel Hill municipal boundaries.

Regional transit to RDU Airport, Raleigh, Durham, Hillsborough, and other nearby cities is available through GoTriangle (formerly Transit Transit). Bus service to Alamance, Guilford, and Chatham counties is also available, and all regional transit agencies provide free Park & Ride lots.Get transit directions using Google Maps and see buses in real-time online or by downloading the TransLoc Rider app. For more route information, call GoTriangle at (919) 485-RIDE or visit the GoTriangle website


Point-to-Point (P2P) offers fare-free, fixed-route service aboard the P2P Express buses, operating on a continuous loop around campus during evening hours, 7:00 p.m. until 4:00 a.m., seven nights a week when residence halls are open during fall, spring, and summer semesters. Students must show their UNC OneCard to board the P2P Express. After dark, a demand-response van can be accessed by students in areas that are not served by the P2P Express route. P2P also offers fare-free, demand-response transportation service to disabled students and students going to or from Campus Health Services 24 hours a day. It also offers additional services including the fixed-route P2P Shuttle serving Baity Hill, an airport shuttle to RDU for select school breaks, and more. On-demand services can be requested with the TransLoc Rider app.

Safe Ride

Safe Ride, operated by Chapel Hill Transit, aims to provide increased mobility between 11:00 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. There are three Safe Ride bus routes operating on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. They provide service between campus and many private student housing developments, as well as other off-campus destinations.

UNC Bicycle Registration

Bicycle registration is required for bicycles on campus. The program serves as a deterrent to crime, aids in the identification of lost or stolen bicycles, and enables UNC to plan for improved bicycle parking facilities around campus in the future. All students who register their bikes will receive a 50-percent-off coupon for a u-lock from UNC Student Stores. Forms for the free bicycle registration are available online or at the Public Safety Building. Cyclists who live off-campus may join the Commuter Alternative Program.

ShareTheRideNC Rideshare Matching

ShareTheRideNC is an easy way to share the seats in your car or catch a ride. The UNC–Chapel Hill private ShareTheRideNC community allows you to find friends, classmates, and coworkers going the same way you are. ShareTheRideNC helps you offer or request rides for commutes, road trips, and popular events. If you have a car, split costs by offering rides. If you don't have a car, find rides where you need to go.


UNC–Chapel Hill introduced Zipcar to campus in 2004 to provide cars on demand by the hour or day. Since then, students, faculty members, and staff from UNC–Chapel Hill have been taking advantage of this car-sharing program by self-reserving Zipcars on campus, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, through online and mobile devices.

For More Information

Concerns may be addressed at the following campus telephone numbers:

  • General Information (919) 962-3951, 3952
  • Parking Control (919) 962-8006
  • Accounts Receivable (919) 962-3951
  • Parking Appeals (919) 962-3951
  • Point-to-Point Shuttle Dispatcher (919) 962-7867 (962-"P-TO-P")
  • Commuter Alternative Program (919) 843-4414

Students with temporary physical handicaps or other hardships requiring special consideration should contact Accessibility Resources and Service for complete information on transportation options.