The Department of Romance Studies is a diverse, multicultural, and plurilingual academic unit that engages in research and instruction in French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, and the historical minority languages of Europe and the Americas.
Students unable to undertake a full eight-course French program may register for the French minor. This option also is available to students in some professional schools.
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least nine hours of their minor "core" requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.000 in the minor core requirements. Some programs may require higher standards for minor or specific courses.
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|Four additional FREN courses numbered above FREN 204, excluding FREN 308, FREN 401, FREN 402, FREN 601, FREN 692H. At least two courses (six hours) must be above 300. 1||12|
French (FREN) course descriptions.
See the program page here for special opportunities.
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–French and Francophone Studies
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Italian
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Portuguese
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Hispanic Literatures and Cultures
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Hispanic Linguistics
- French Minor
- Italian Minor
- Portuguese Minor
- Hispanic Studies Minor
- Spanish Minor for the Professions
- Translation and Interpreting Minor
Department of Romance Studies
238 Dey Hall, CB# 3170