Spanish Minor for the Professions
Department of Romance Studies
238 Dey Hall, CB# 3170
The Spanish minor for the professions is designed for students who anticipate careers in which they will need to interact with Hispanic communities in the United States or abroad and who wish to continue the study of Spanish language and culture for specific professional purposes: business, medical and other health professions, or law and other legal professions. The capstone course in the minor includes experiential learning through field work and/or public service.
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–French and Francophone Studies
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Italian
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Portuguese
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Hispanic Literatures and Cultures
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Hispanic Linguistics
- French Minor
- Italian Minor
- Portuguese Minor
- Hispanic Studies Minor
- Spanish Minor for the Professions
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least nine hours of their minor course requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|Two profession-specific courses in the same professional track from the following options:||6|
|Spanish for Business|
and Spanish for Business (Second Semester)
|Spanish for the Medical Professions|
and Spanish for the Medical Professions (Second Semester)
|Spanish for the Legal Professions|
and Spanish for the Legal Professions (Second Semester)
|Additional three-credit SPAN course (above SPAN 300, excluding SPAN 401, SPAN 402, SPAN 404, SPAN 405, and SPAN 601)||3|
& ROML 194
|Spanish for Professional and Community Engagement|
and Service Learning in Romance Studies
|SPAN 261||Advanced Spanish in Context 1||3|
|or SPAN 267||Advanced Spanish in Context for Heritage Learners|
All students must complete SPAN 261 (or receive credit for its equivalent) to be eligible to begin the program.
See the program page here for special opportunities.