Department of Romance Studies
238 Dey Hall, CB# 3170
The minor in Portuguese is designed for those who wish to continue their study of Portuguese and acquire a more in-depth knowledge of Lusophone cultural production, such as film, literature, and the performing arts. Qualifying courses include courses in Portuguese, courses on Lusophone topics taught in English, and certain courses outside the department with a significant amount of content related to the Lusophone world. Many students see it as essential or complementary to their major in fields such as public health, global studies, music, anthropology, or political science.
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–French and Francophone Studies
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Italian
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Portuguese
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Hispanic Literatures and Cultures
- Romance Languages Major, B.A.–Hispanic Linguistics
- French Minor
- Italian Minor
- Portuguese Minor
- Hispanic Studies Minor
- Spanish Minor for the Professions
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least nine hours of their minor course requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|PORT 310||Intensive Oral Communication in Portuguese||3|
|Four additional PORT courses numbered between PORT 300 and PORT 699, excluding PORT 401, PORT 402, PORT 691H, and PORT 692H||12|
The minor in Portuguese requires five courses beyond PORT 204, two of which may be taken abroad.
Portuguese (PORT) course descriptions.
See the program page here for special opportunities.