Department of Asian Studies
New West 113, CB# 3267
The Department of Asian Studies offers five major concentrations, nine minors, and instruction in Asian and Middle Eastern languages. In addition to the interdisciplinary minor in Asian studies, there are language-focused minors in Arabic, Chinese, modern Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Japanese, Korean, and Persian.
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Interdisciplinary Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Arab Cultures Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Chinese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Japanese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–South Asian Studies Concentration
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least nine hours of their minor course requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|Four language courses beyond JAPN 203, chosen from among the following:||12-13|
|Intermediate Japanese II|
|Advanced Japanese I|
|Advanced Japanese II|
|Gateway to Mastering Japanese|
|Topics in Contemporary Japanese Literature|
|Food and Culture in Japan|
|Making Music in Japan|
|Fashioning Japan: Gender, Nation, and Dress|
|Manga as a Japanese Art and Culture|
|Sports in Japanese Culture|
|Understanding Japanese Business Culture and Its Practice|
|Japanese Culture through Film and Literature|
|Topics in Japanese Language and Literature|
|Investigating Japanese Culture through TV Dramas|
|Advanced Topics in Japanese Language and Literature|
Placement credit (PL) may not be used to meet minor requirements.
See the program page here for special opportunities.