Department of Asian Studies
New West 113, CB# 3267
The Department of Asian Studies offers five major concentrations, nine minors, and instruction in Asian and Middle Eastern languages. In addition to the interdisciplinary minor in Asian Studies, there are language-focused minors in Arabic, Chinese, modern Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Japanese, Korean, and Persian.
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–General Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Arab Cultures Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Chinese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–Japanese Concentration
- Asian Studies Major, B.A.–South Asian Studies Concentration
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least 9 credits of their minor course requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
|Four language courses beyond JAPN 203, chosen from among the following:|
|JAPN 204||Intermediate Japanese II||4|
|JAPN 305||Advanced Japanese||3|
|JAPN 306||Advanced Japanese II||3|
|JAPN 401||Gateway to Mastering Japanese||3|
|JAPN 408||Japanese Journalism||3|
|JAPN 409||Japanese Modernism||3|
|JAPN 410||Topics in Contemporary Japanese Literature||3|
|JAPN 411||Food and Culture in Japan||3|
|JAPN 412||Making Music in Japan||3|
|JAPN 413||Fashioning Japan: Gender, Nation, and Dress||3|
|JAPN 414||Manga as a Japanese Art and Culture||3|
|JAPN 415||Sports in Japanese Culture||3|
|JAPN 416||Understanding Japanese Business Culture and Its Practice||3|
|JAPN 417||Japanese Culture through Film and Literature||3|
|JAPN 490||Topics in Japanese Language and Literature||3|
|JAPN 521||Investigating Japanese Culture through TV Dramas||3|
|JAPN 590||Advanced Topics in Japanese Language and Literature||3|
Placement credit (PL) may not be used to meet minor requirements.
See program page here for special opportunities.