Department of History
556 Hamilton Hall, CB# 3195
The study of history is an essential part of a liberal arts education and offers valuable preparation for many careers: in law, journalism, libraries, and museums; in local, state, and national public service; in business; in international work; and, of course, in historical research and teaching.
In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must:
- take at least 9 credits of their minor course requirements at UNC–Chapel Hill
- earn a minimum of 12 hours of C or better in the minor (some minors require more)
For more information, please consult the degree requirements section of the catalog.
The minor in history consists of five courses (15 hours) taken in the Department of History.
- A maximum of two courses can be numbered below 200.
- Students must have a grade of C or better in at least four of the five courses (12 hours).
- Three courses (9 hours) must be taken at UNC–Chapel Hill or a program officially sponsored by the University.
- No more than one course (3 hours) of College Board Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate credit may count toward the minor.
History (HIST) course descriptions.
See program page here for special opportunities.